This is a local search engine of the UK Pub history site. You can search by surname, street address, or public house name. There are over 50,000 pages of pub history detail in this search engine; which is mainly historical. New pubs and additional detail is added every day, and the search engine updates weekly
Contact the pub history site : kevan at pubhistory.co.uk
|site search by freefind|
Aveley 1863 Whites Directory
AVELEY is a long pleasant village, on a bold acclivity, about 2 miles N. of
the river Thames and Purfleet, 8 miles S.S.E. of Romford, and 15 miles E. of
London. Its parish has 930 inhabitants, and 2852 acres of land, including
162 acres of wood. It had anciently a market, and has still a pleasure fair
on Easter Monday, It is conjectured to be of Roman origin, and the manor was
held by Gilbert de Tani, in the reign of Henry II In 1505, it was granted by
the Crown, to the Hospital of the Savoy, in London. After the dissolution,
Edward VI. granted it to St. Thomas's Hospital, London, to which it still
belongs; but a great part of the parish belongs to other proprietors, the
largest of whom is Sir Thos. Barrett Lennard, Bart., who has a handsome seat
here called BELHUS, or Belhouse, from the knightly family of Belhus, who
were seated here in the reigns of King John and Henry III. The present
mansion was built in the reign of Henry VIII., and is surrounded by an
extensive park, containing some fine deer, and an abundance of large forest
trees. It is a noble specimen of the Tudor style of architecture, and
several parts of the park command extensive views over the Thames into Kent.
The estate passed from the Barringtons to the Barretts, who held it more
than two centuries, The late Sir T. B. Lennard was born in 1761, and was
created,a baronet in 1801. He died in 1857, and was succeeded by his
grandson, the present baronet. Estates called Bumstead and Bretts are in
this parish; and the latter has an ancient moated house, now occupied by a
farmer, but anciently the seat of the Le Bret family. The Churoh (St.
Michael) is an ancient structure, with a nave and; aisles, a chancel, and a
square tower of flint and stone, containing five bells, and crowned with a
small wooden spire, erected in lieu of a lofty one, that was blown down in
1703. In the chancel are a few old brasses, and several neat monuments. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14. 10s. 5d., and in
1831 at £272. The Bishop of Rochester is patron, and the Rev. R. M, White,
M.A, is the incumbent, and has a good residence, and 9A. of glebe. The Dean
and Chapter of St. Paul's are appropriators of the rectory, which has 30A.
3R 2P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841,- the rectorial for £461
5s, and the vicarial for £330 7s. A large National School was built here in
1844, at the cost of £600, on an acre of land given by the lords of the
manors and in the village is an Independent Chapel, with a school, erected
in 1815. The Poor-houses are three old tenements, occupied by poor persons,
nominated by Sir Thos. B. Lennard, but the donor is unknown. For
distributions of bread every Sunday, the poor have 52s. yearly, out of
Tunney Mead and Capon Hills, left by John Lewty, in 1639, In 1847, Richd.
Thos. Wood left the interest of. £100 for the poor.
POST OFFICE at Wm. T. Jackson's. Letters via Romford
|AVELEY Residents & Commercial Traders
Bennett Rev. Herbert (Independent)
Bousfield Thomas, tailor
Brown William, tailor
Down George, carpenter, etc.
Dunn Mary, bricklayer
Finch lsaac, parish clerk
Francis Alfred, schoolmaster
Gibson Sml L, builder & undertaker
Hayward Thomas, gardener, etc
Jackson Wm. Thos. saddler, etc.
Joyner Mrs Mgt.
Lee A. dressmaker
Kittle George, hairdresser, etc
Lennard Sir Thomas Barrett, Bart. Belhus
Martin Chas. plumber, painter, etc
Osborn John, bricklayer
Pappin Harriet, schoolmistress
Parnell Henry, gardener
Parrott Mrs Henrietta & Miss M. A.
Vidal Charles Lewis, Esq.
Vidal William Foot, surgeon
White Rev. Rd. Marsh, M.A. vicar
INNS AND TAVERNS.
Crown and Anchor, Charles Cook
Ship, Edward Thurlby Hitching
BOOT & SHOEMAKERS.
Joyner Jno. Hall