Search London and Pub history

Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire  1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

 pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

GREAT MARLOW is a borough and market town, in the hundred of Desborough, union of Wycombe, situate 3 1/2 miles from the Marlow Road Station, on the Wycombe branch of the Great Western Railway, 5 miles from Maidenhead, 9 from Twyford, 25 S.W. from Oxford, and 31 S. from London. The place is beautifully situated on the most picturesque part of the course of the Thames, and presents an appearance of cleanliness, comfort, and respectability equalled by few country towns. The salubrity of the climate, combined with the attractive nature of thescenery, has rendered it a famous place of residence for the higher and wealthier classes of society. In the summer season the vicinity is much visited by tbe tourist and the lovers of angling, who amidst the tranquil and lovely landscape of the basin of the Thames may 'possess their souls with the patience and pence' supposed to be characteristic of the votaries of " the gentle craft." The manor was anciently owned by the Nevilles, (buried at Bisham), a descendant of whom (Lady Anne) wis disseized of this and other estates, which were afterwards restored to her for life, by Henry VII., on condition of her conveying them to that monarch. Afterwards the manor was apportioned to the maintenance of the Princess Mary, who, on her accession to the throne, granted it to Lord Paget, tbe friend of four successive sovereigns. He died in 1563. The borough has returned two members to Parliament, but not continuously, since tho reign of Edward I.: the present representatives are Lieut. Col. Brownlow Knox and Thomas Peers Williams, Esq. Under the Reform Act the parliamentary boundaries comprise the several parishes of Great Marlow, Little Marlow, Medmenham, and Bisham. The trade of the town is much dependant on the resident gentry, and the fine agricultural district of which it is the centre; but tho manufacture of lace, embroidery, and satin-stich are rather extensively carried on. There are two paper mills on the Thames; these, with the celebrated brewery of Messrs. Thomas Wethered and Sons, also employ a portion of the inhabitants. The market day is Saturday, but of late years the market has been discontinued. A fair is held on the 29th October; the pleasure fair, formerly held in the month of May, has become obsolete. The parish comprises an area of 6152 acres, with a population in 1861 of 4661 inhabitants. The population of tbe parliamentary borough was 6496.
The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a white brick and stone sructure. situate on the border of the river, said to have cost the extraordinary sum of £16,000. It was erected in 1835, on tho site of a beautiful old church. The building is in the Gothic style, with lofty steeple, surmounted by a spire. The living is a vicarage, annual value about £200, in the deanery of Marlow, and incumbency of the Rev Robert Milman, M.A.; the Bishop of Oxford is patron. Near the church is the beautiful iron Suspension-bridge across the Thames, a remarkable object of lightness and symmetry. A neat district church, built of stone, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected some years past. There is a small Catholic Chapel, in St Peter Street, by Pugin, considered one of the best of his small churches; s Convent is attached. The Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Grammar School, in West Street, was fonnded in 1624, by Sir William Borlase; 24 boys are educated on the foundation, and a similar number of girls are educated out of the charity and distributed among three other schools of the town. The National School, in High Street, is a well-ventilated and commodious building recently erected. There are Almshouses, in Oxford Lane, for six aged widows, founded and endowed by John Brinckman, in the reign of James I. The other charities amount to about £200 per annum, a portion of which ia applied to the apprenticing of poor boys, and the rest distributed to the poor.

Atkinson Benjamin, esq., the Rookery
Barton Mr William, Thames bank
Berger Frederick, esq., Court garden
Borgnis Peter, esq., Highfield
Brandon Samuel, esq., Suffolk lodge
Calvert Edmund Sexton Pery, esq., Western house
Carson James, esq., Springfield house
Clayton Major General Sir William, Harleyford house
Cocks the Misses, the Glade
Cocks Thomas Somers, esq., Thames bank
Colbourne Robert, esq., High st
Davenport George, esq., Globe house
Drake Rev Mac worth, (curate) High street
Faussett Mrs Sarah, the Cottage
Gaskell William P., esq.,Rolfe's hall
Gibbons Mr William Edward, St Peter street
Hammond Mrs Sarah Bliss, the Heathers
HaywarJ Rev Henry, M.a. (curate), High street
Higginson Lieut. Genl. George Powell, the Croft
Matthews Thos.,esq., Mnrlow place
Milman Rev Robt, M.A. Vicarage
Palmer Mrs, High street
Robson George Rawden, esq., West street
Rolls Thomas, esq.,Thames side
Rose Mrs Grace, Thames bank
Smedley Frank Edward, esq., Beech wood
Smith Rev Bernard, (Catholic), St Peter street
Spicer Ralph, esq., West street
Styles Rev Thomas, Chapel st
Townsend Mrs Jane, High st
Ward William Lakin, esq., High street
Weedon Mrs Susannah, the Deanery
Wethered Lawrence William, esq., High street
Wethered Owen, esq.. High st
Welhered Mrs Sarah, Pemmantz
Wright Mrs Esther, High street
Wright Mr Joseph, Thames bank
Wright Mr Wm., Thames bank

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 18:05:37 BST