Search London and Pub history

Hook Norton, Oxfordshire 1863 Directory

Hook Norton pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

Hook Norton 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co Directory listing

HOOK NORTON is a parish, including the hamlet of Southrop, situate on the borders of Warwickshire, 5 miles N.E. by N. from Chipping Norton, and 8 S.E.S. by W. from Banbury, in the union of the latter and hundred of Chadlington. It is a place of great antiquity; according to the Saxon chronicles a battle was fought here in the reign of Edward the Elder (circa anno 917), between the Danes and the English. There are the remains of a camp, in form, an irregular pentagon, near Hook Norton Lodge, conjectured by Dr. Plott to have been raised by the English, but at present the labours of the husbandman have almost effaced its traces. Florence of Worcester, gives the year 914 as the date of this battle, and calls Hook Norton "Regia Villa" - a royal town or village. William the Conqueror bestowed the manor of Hook Norton on Robert D'Oyley, one of his followers, who at the Doomsday Survey held this manor and 27 others in the county, in fief, besides many others in the adjacent shires. Ela, Countess of Warwick, held the manor of Hook Norton in 1285 in capite, on the serjeantry of carving before the King at Christmas, and to have the knife with which she carved. The Church is a noble old structure, situate on a commanding position, dedicated to St. Peter, and consists of nave, side aisles, chancel, and tower containing a peal of six bells and a set of chimes; its summit is decorated with eight pinnacles. In the interior is a curious Norman font of the 12th century. The living is a perpetual curacy, value 180 per annum, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. John Richard Rushton, B.D. The Wesleyans, Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Society of Friends, have each a chapel here; there is also a National and a British School. The parish contains 5,300 acres, with a population in 1861 of 1394 inhabitants.

GENTRY
Anderton Mrs
Bury William
Coles Mrs
Cox Mr John
Davis Sam esq, Swerford park
Davis Robert S B esq, Swerford park
French Miss Ruth
Goffe Miss Charlotte
Haynes Miss Ann M
Hollington Mrs H
Luckett Mrs
Minchin the Misses
Rushton Rev John Richard, vicarage
Stroud Miss
West Mr Henry

TRADERS
Bennett Jesse, farmer
Blea John, Wheat Sheaf
Boiles Thomas, farmer, Scotland
Borsbury John, blacksmith
Borton John Lee, butcher
Bray George, carpenter and wheelwright
Brewer George, tailor, draper, and grocer
Bull Alban, veterinary surgeon
Bury John, farmer
Busby Agnes (Miss) dressmaker
Busby Benjamin, slater and plasterer
Bnsby Thomas, slater and plasterer
Checkley Hawtin, farmer
Colegrove, Job miller and farmer
Cook Joshua, farmer
Cox William, mason
Franklin Solomon, blacksmith
Gibbs Samuel, farmer
Godson John W. farmer, Scotland
Goffe Jonathan, mason
Golding Thomas, farmer
Hall Miss, seminary
Hall Pboebe (Mrs) baker
Hall Thomas, carpenter, Scotland
Hall William, carpenter and pump maker
Hall William, plumber and glazier
Harris John, maltster and brewer, Scotland
Harvey Elizabeth, farmer
Hattin John, carpenter and wheelwright
Haynes William, farmer
Heydon Henry, farmer
Hiatt John, farmer
Hiatt Joseph, draper and tailor
Hiatt Joseph, farmer
Jacques Israel, farmer
Kench Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright
Knibb William, Sun
Lovell Thomas, farmer, Park farm
Lovell William, farmer, Nill farm
Luckett James, farmer
Luckett John, cooper
Luckett Richard, farmer
Luckett Thomas, beer retailer
Luckett William, Gate, and farmer
Mallam Richard, surgeon
Mills William, draper
Minchin and Son, nursery and seedsmen
Minchin William, farmer
Nicholls Job, tinman, Southrop
Osborne Septimus, tailor and hair cutter
Paine John, clock and watchmaker
Phipps Joseph, tailor
Phipps Thomas, hair cutter and parish clerk
Phipps Zimri, carpenter
Prickett Thomas, Fox and Hounds
Pumphrey Edward, grocer and provision dealer
Purcer Isaac, farmer
Ricketts John, Red Lion
Rimill Stephen, Bell
Robins George, farmer
Rogers George, farmer
Sale Thomas, grocer
Salter Esther (Miss), seminary
Sturch Charles, saddler
Tappin John, blacksmith
Walford David, baker
Walford Edward, farmer
Walford Edward, jun., grocer and butcher
Walford John, farmer
Walford John, jun., farmer
Wealsby George, farmer
White Jabez, carpenter and Joiner
White Richard, shoemaker
Whitfield David, carrier and farmer
Whitfield Philip, baker
Wiggins Thomas, farmer
Wilks John, butcher
Wilks Thomas, farmer
Williams John, farmer
Woolgroove John, tailor and baker
Wyton Matthew, farmer


Post Office. - Joseph Hiatt, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive 9 a.m.; despatched 5.45 p.m.

Places or Worship: St. Peter's Church, Rev. John Richard Rushton, B.D., incumbent.
Baptist Chapel, Rev. W. H. Cornish, pastor.
Weslegyan Chapel, various ministers
Primitive Methodist Chapel, various ministers.
Friends Meeting House.
Public Schools:
National, Mr. Hill, master; Miss Bennett, mistress.
British, Miss French, mistress ,
Carriers To: 
Banbury, David Whitfield, mon., thurs., and sat., to Waggon and Horses; and John
Timms to Fox, mon., thurs. and sat.
Chipping Norton, D. Whitfield, every Wednesday


**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 19:53:10 BST