Rotherfield Peppard pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Rotherfield Peppard 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co Directory listing
PEPPARD is a pleasant village, better known by the name of Rotherfield
Peppabd, 4 miles S.W. by S. from Henley-on-Thames, and 7 1/2 from Reading.
The church is a small plain building, totally devoid of architectural
beauty. The living is a rectory, in Henley deanery, estimated value £630 per
annum; the Rev. Henry Reynolds, B.D, is rector. The Principal and Fellows of
Jesus College, Oxford, are patrons of the living. The population, numbering
in 1861, 437, are entirely engaged in agricultural pursuits. The
Independents have a chapel here. There is also a small parochial school.
Caterer Rev Isaac (Independent)
Hitchcock Richard esq
Palaivet Mrs, Blounts court
Reynolds Rev Hy, BD (rector)
Allen James, paper manufacturer, New mills
Burgess Joseph, farmer
Burgess Simon, wheelwright
Butler Charles, Donkin Arms
Butler William, bricklayer
Crutchfield Jas., shoemaker and parish clerk
Furnell Elizabeth (Miss), farmer, Ivybarn
Green William, Unicorn
Harvey F. (Mrs), schoolmistress
Heron M. (Mrs), Dog
Lougford Charles, farmer
Reeves Richard, baker
Shurvell Richard, farmer
Talbot William, Old Red Lion
Tuckey T., farmer
Letters through Henley-on-Thames.
Carriers - Burton (from Watlingtnn) and Hayes (from Nettlebed) to Reading, pass through erery sat., returning same day; Bond (from Oxford) passes on mon. and fri., returning same days.
**** Provided By Kevan